Volunteers make an incredible impact on our programs and the families that we serve. We deeply appreciate the dedication of the more than 500 volunteers that work with us to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty each year. Will you join us?
Check out some of the opportunities below, and fill out this form to let us know you’re interested:
- Teach: Teach an exercise class to our parents, a music class for our Compass Kids, a workshop on the job search for our clients, or something else – bring your expertise to our agency!
- Tutor: Work one-on-one with an adult or child as they work to achieve their educational aspirations, or help build our organizational capacity by helping our staff learn the ins and outs of Excel, Outlook and other software that is essential to work with our clients.
- Tweet: Social media guru? Work with our communications team through finding, creating or copy-editing content for our Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest pages.
- Mentor: Build a relationship with an adult or child in our programs as they tweak their business plan, grow their photography skills, or search for employment.
- Play: Volunteer in the classrooms in our children’s center, help provide childcare to our clients’ families or facilitate a group activity with the children in Camp Compass.
- Party: Help out at our annual Halloween and Holiday parties for the families we serve, our annual fundraising gala, or our quarterly baby showers for new (and soon-to-be) Compass moms!
- Cook: Cook dinner for the families at our shelter, prepare healthy snacks for the families at our drop-in center, or bake some cookies at our Children’s Center to show our staff how much you appreciate their work in our community.
- Organize: Help keep our offices running smoothly by tackling some of the administrative work that can get lost in the shuffle – participate in one of our Compass Children’s Center Clean-up Days, organize the offices and apartments at our transitional housing program, or stock and organize our food pantry.
- Fundraise: Help us keep our doors open (and overhead low!) by calling and thanking donors, researching grants, or helping out with our Annual Fund mailing.
Let us know you’re interested here, and we’ll figure out how we can make the best impact together.
- Compass offers limited volunteer opportunities during evenings and weekends.
- Whenever possible, Compass supports stability in the lives of our client families. We ask that volunteers interested in tutoring, mentoring or any other one-on-one projects with parents and children, be able to make a once a week commitment of at least three months.
- Some volunteer positions that involve interaction with children require volunteers to be fingerprinted and have a background check. For these positions we request an ongoing commitment when possible.
- We ask that all volunteers be 17 and older due to the sensitive circumstances faced by many of our client families.